The Royal Inn was built in 1830 by the corporation of Bristol in order to provide a hotel supporting the policy of the specific development of a seaside resort.

It opened for business in 1831 under the management of Miss Pring, offering a pleasant respectable place of abode at a very moderate charge.

Built by and trading for the corporation of Bristol until some 35 years ago, it is thought to be the only seaside hotel built by a public authority during the nineteenth century.

In early years holiday visitors would arrive by steamer and be taken ashore by rowing boat, until the completion of the pier in 1968.